This past week, social media users were stormed with posts from the Met Gala. From red carpet reviews to on the pulse memes, the glitterati delivered.
But this year, our attention was kindled by more than Kardashian couture.
Due to the intense activity, the Met Gala caused, Instagram’s Brooke DeVard Ozaydinli shared 11 tips for creating best-in-class Reels… and it’s the A-list reveal we’ve all been waiting for.
If you’re new to Instagram or don’t know much about the types of content you can create, Reels are short, captivating videos on Instagram where users can express their creativity and bring their own brand to life. Many users utilize Reels to engage in popular cultural trends, collaborate with the community, and discover new ideas. With the use of creative tools such as AR effects, music, text, and filters, users and influencers can expand their businesses.
Keep reading to find out Brooke DeVard Ozaydinli's 11 tips for creating the best-in-class Reels:
- Relate to your audience: Creating content that clicks with users is super important because they are able to get to know you more and relate to your stories on a more personal level as well. If users watch your Reels and think “that’s literally me,” you’re on the right track!
- Express your perspective: Showcase your personality, share your passions, teach viewers something. Or just share something that’s uniquely you. Social media is a platform for building your identity and showing the world what you care about.
- Engage in the conversation: Put your twist on conversations of the moment. Whatever’s happening right now, people want to hear your take on it. People share information or their opinions to give others a better sense of who they are and what they care about.
- Let go of your fears: There is no “right” way to create Reels or other types of content, so your way is the right way. If you’re having fun, chances are your audience will too.
- Surprise people: By giving viewers a big reveal, a punchline, or ending with a plot twist gets people to watch your video more than once and engage more with your profile.
- No watermarks: Don’t post Reels that clearly have already been used or recycled from other platforms. Be original!
- Shoot vertical content: 9:16 makes sure your Reels are immersive on mobile. 8. Tell a story: Every great Reel typically has a beginning, middle, and end. Telling stories helps you connect and engage more with your target audience in an authentic way to build relationships with viewers.
- Look into the lens: Using the selfie camera on your phone creates first-person, approachable content.
- Make a cover photo: A cover photo gives users a preview of what you’re going to be showing in your Reel. They allow you to match your brand more closely while keeping your feed more united. Find out how to add an Instagram Reel cover photo here.
- Share: After you’ve posted your Reel, don’t forget to share it to your Story! You can even share them on other platforms!
- Just hit record. Now that you've studied up on your Reel tips, get out that phone and hit record. The hardest part about getting into Reels is starting.
Now you know how to create the best-in-class Reels, directly from Instagram HQ! Experiment with your content to find the best ways to engage your viewers but remember to focus on your community and audience!